Global Travel Oversight Committee
The Global Travel Oversight Committee (GTOC) is charged with providing ongoing assessment of the countries or regions where Virginia Tech community members travel. GTOC develops international travel guidelines to ensure the health and safety of all travelers, and reviews requests for travel to high-risk destinations. In the event of a major incident abroad affecting the Virginia Tech community, the Global Incident Management Team may call upon GTOC to assist with crisis response.
GTOC is chaired by Allie Oberoi, associate director for global safety and risk management, and consists of the following:
- Kay Heidbreder - University Legal Counsel
- Jill Sible - Associate Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
- Theresa Johansson - Director, Global Education Office
- Michael Mulhare - Director, Office of Emergency Management (OEM)
- Rebecca Folmar - Director, Risk Management
- John Talerico - Director, Office of Export Control & Secure Research Compliance (OECSR)
- Mac Babb - Chief of Police & Director of Security
- Meghan Weyrens Kuhn - Director, VT Engage
- Vivian Yamoah - Interim Director, Cranwell International Center
- Steve Capaldo - Associate University Legal Counsel
- Michael Kendrick - Program Manager, Office of Export Control & Secure Research Compliance (OECSR)
- Joanna Culligan - Instructor of Human Development and Family Science
- Alene Harris - Assistant Director, Risk Management
Questions concerning the GTOC or questions concerning travel to locations requiring an exception to Virginia Tech Policy 1070: Global Travel Policy, can directed to VTGlobalSafety@vt.edu or (540) 231-2867.
University officials are monitoring reports of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus. This is an ongoing issue. See the University Status COVID-19 page for the latest information.
More information on the university's Travel Restrictions can be found on the Frequently Asked Questions page.