Health and safety is a primary concern when traveling abroad.
There are protocols and guidelines in place to minimize risk to students, faculty, and staff:
- Register your travel with the Global Education Office. Follow the steps here.
- The Global Education Office monitors U.S. government advisories. Travelers are also encouraged to register with the U.S. Department of State and enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
- Students, participating in programs that are not faculty-led, attend mandatory pre-flight orientation session.
- The university requires that all Virginia Tech faculty, staff, and documented representatives traveling for business purposes enroll in the university-approved medical and security assistance insurance, Cultural Intercultural Services International (CISI). Instructions for insurance enrollment can be found here.
- In case of emergencies while abroad, travelers can call the Virginia Tech Police Dispatch number: 24-hours, 7 days a week: +1 (540) 231- 6411.
Please review the resources in this section and contact the Global Education Office before departing if you have questions or concerns.